A new day has come whether we wanted it to or not, even in spite of our prayers. The challenge is no longer in the distance but is now. Our decision is – are we going to continue to walk in “liberty” or are we going to walk in “license”? As I have watched in my life time –
- the authority of God’s Word had moved from being “the only infallible rule of faith and practice” to “a guide” to be used to direct our paths;
- where the day in school began with the reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and the Lord’s Prayer, to the “Pledge” being optional and prayer not allowed;
- where children were a blessing and desired, to them being “eliminated before birth for convenience sake”;
- where faith was a normal part of the “market place”, to now being relegated to the confines of the Church;
- where statutes and words of our forefathers were honored and respected to them being removed from places of honor because of what they represent and the Scriptures spoken by them are repugnant to nonbelievers.
Now we stand on the threshold of a new day in history where marriage is no longer between a man and a woman, but two persons, as least for now. Since part of the basis of this new ruling is when two people love one another what does male/female sex have to do with it. If “love” is the criteria what is to keep people from marrying “whatever” they love.
It seems the world and this nation in particular, does not pay attention to history, let alone God’s Word. Morally we are following the pattern of cities with traffic problems. When there are more cars on the highway than the highway can serve, you simply add more lanes. Our nation is following that pattern in terms of morality. Rather than requiring people to adhere to the “mores” that have served our nation well for hundreds of years, our solution seems to be “move the boundaries” rather than requiring the standards to be met.
Jesus clearly declared, “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” (Matthew 7:13-14) The Old Testament parallel passage is found in Isaiah: “And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness; it will be for those who walk on that Way. The unclean will not journey on it; wicked fools will not go about on it.” (Isaiah 35:8)
God’s solution to the problems and challenges of this world remain the same. Confess, repent, receive forgiveness, be set free from bondages, be delivered and healed. We have been set free to boldly and lovingly declare “we’ve a story to tell to the nations, that will turn their hearts to the right.” Our story is of God’s love and nothing is impossible for Him! What an awesome privilege.